Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take The Proper Steps To Detect

There are many potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as dangerous as carbon monoxide.

 

Carbon monoxide could be a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. Part of the reason it is so dangerous is because the gas is colourless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can filtrate its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how large the crack is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

 

It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do:

 

  1. If you do not have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Peel Heating & Air Conditioning in Brampton to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every three months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Peel in Brampton at 289-948-1650 to learn more.

Privacy Policy | Careers

© 2018 Peel Heating and Air Conditioning Canada
All rights reserved.

Facebook icon links to Boonstra's Facebook page.